If you’ve been growing an herb garden, this time of year you likely have an abundance of basil (& other herbs) ready for the taking. (If not, run to your nearest grocery store or farmer’s market and get in on the freshness of this delicious herb!)
We all love basil in our spaghetti sauce, pesto, and in other Italian and Thai favorites, but maybe you didn’t realize what a nutritious power-house it is.
Basil is known to be:
- anti-bacterial (fighting bacteria in your system)
- anti-inflammatory (can help relieve inflammatory health problems like rheumatoid arthritis and other conditions)
- heart-healthy (as a source of vitamin A, beta-carotenes, and magnesium)
- and also a good source of vitamin K, vitamin C, calcium, iron, folate, and omega-3 fatty acids
Who knew! So much goodness packed into each little leaf. If you want to learn more about the history of basil (or pick up a few growing tips), read more about this green goddess here.
And if you’re looking to pick up some new uses for that basil plant in your sunny window, check out the abundance or recipes from Cooking Light featured here.
We know a simple and fresh recipe is always welcome this time of year. Whip yourself up this easy basil, tomato, and cucumber salad today!
RECIPE: Basil Salad with Cucumbers and Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (optional for flavor)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes (or chopped large tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups chopped cucumber
- 1 cup cubed mozzarella cheese (optional)
Mix lightly and serve cold and fresh!
Here at The Cabinet Store we know that a fresh and happy home often make those fresh ingredients taste even better. If you’re ready to consider updating your kitchen to make it a place you’ll love to cook, dine, and entertain, stop by our showroom today!